MACAC Mentorship Program
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW DO I BEGIN A MENTORSHIP RELATIONSHIP
Fill out an application form.
ONCE I KNOW WHO MY MENTOR IS, HOW DO WE GET STARTED?
- Exchange personal profiles or resumes
- Exchange professional job descriptions
- Find mutual areas for sharing
- Share methods of achieving goals
- Discuss assistance available from organizational memberships
- Discuss workshops which are available
- Share materials which have been helpful to you
- Mentee should feel comfortable calling the mentor for assistance or ideas
- Meet prior to college nights, meetings, or MACAC functions and attend together
- Mentor should be responsible for introducing mentees to others
- Visit each other at your institutions for informal meetings/lunches
- Be creative!
WHO QUALIFIES TO BE A MENTOR/MENTEE?
Any MACAC member who is involved in college counseling in the college or high school level may take part in this program. It is suggested that mentors have 5 or more years of experience in the profession and have been a part of MACAC for greater than 2 years. Mentees should have less than 5 years of experience in the profession and/or be new to MACAC.
IS IT TOO LATE TO FILL OUT A MENTORSHIP FORM FOR THIS SCHOOL YEAR?
Absolutely not! We will pair requests throughout the year.
WHEN SHOULD I EXPECT TO BE MATCHED WITH A MENTOR OR MENTEE?
The Member Relations Committee meets about once per month during the academic year. We will try our best to get everyone matched up each time we meet, but the primary goal is to retain the quality of the matches. There is a chance that every applicant will not be matched at each meeting.
WHAT IF I HAVEN’T BEEN CONTACTED BY MY MENTOR/MENTEE?
A mentoring relationship is a two way street. You can make the first contact and take the initiative to send an e-mail or make a phone call!!
HOW DO I RECOGNIZE AN OUTSTANDING MENTOR/MENTEE?
E-mail the Member Relations Committee and be sure to send a Thank You!
HOW DO I JOIN THE MEMBER RELATIONS COMMITTEE?
PLEASE CONTACT A MEMBER OF THE MACAC MEMBER RELATIONS COMMITTEE WITH ANY QUESTIONS, COMMENTS OR CONCERNS ABOUT YOUR MENTORING RELATIONSHIP!
Contact one of the co-chairs
Bryan Karl, University of Minnesota, Duluth (218) 726-8804
Tom McHugh, Gustavus Adolphus College (507) 933-6390